Saturday, February 13, 2021

Week 3 in second grade!

 February 14, 2021

Amy Mustafa

I was very excited to join My Mt's class once again. The students all seem to be much more comfortable with me in the classroom as they all said "Hi Ms. Mustafa!", as soon as I turned my camera on. When I introduced myself on the first day the students struggled to pronounce my last name as it may not be very common to them. I had initially asked the students if they've ever watched the movie, The Lion King & if they know who Mufasa was? I expected most answers to be yes, which was true. I told them my name is said the exact same way but instead, we add the letters "s" and "t". I was glad to know that by the third week they all knew how to pronounce my last name!  We began class going around our houses finding unique things that are round. I wasn't too sure why my MT wanted the students to find things that are round but I had assumed that they may be learning about shapes, focusing on circular objects. I feel that if I teach about circles in my own classroom, I would use that kind of introduction activity to foreshadow what my students will be learning about that day.  

As the day went on, I had the opportunity to split up into multiple different break-out rooms where I had individual one on one meetings with every student. I further taught those who both, mastered and struggled with subtracting. The students were learning how to subtract three & two-digit numbers where they only borrow from the tenth place. Most of the students only knew how to subtract using the new common core standards which I found quite surprising. As for me, I remember learning how to subtract using the traditional right to  left method where we simply start first from the right or tens unit. I myself have always struggled with math so I realized I definitely need to keep practicing what I learned about common core math as I too, will someday have to teach my students that way as well. Overall, it was a great week again with Mrs. Proskurniak's class & I truly cannot wait to continue on in this great journey. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Blog

Mary Fayta 5-2-21 2 strengths going into FE and now:  A strength  I believe  I had going into field experience  would be that I am good with...