Thursday, February 18, 2021

Week 4 - Mars Rover!

Emily Pinto

EDEC 4571/81 

2.18.21

    Today was a pretty good day. I once again, worked with my small groups just like last week, and this time I came more prepared with a fun game/activity to do. For the sight words small group, we started out just doing spelling, and reviewing a couple sight words from last week. Then we played a game where I slowly wrote a sight word on my marker board and whoever could guess the word before I was finished writing got a point, and used the word in a sentence. It went over very well, the students stayed engaged with the activity and all participated enthusiastically. I chose to do this because I feel like sight words are hard to spell if you are unfamiliar with them -- that's the whole reason they are sight words, because they don't sound out like regular words. This way, they were able to see them spelled out, and they all read them correctly, as well as used them appropriately in a sentence. I would like to build on this activity next week and try a variation of it if possible. 

    My MT was absent for the second half of the day -- so I instead worked with the substitute. We watched portions of the Mars rover Perseverance landing that happened today. The students really enjoyed it, it was a very cool and different science activity that not many people have had the privilege to experience. 

    Finally, my math small group did a Hangman type math activity. I posed a math problem for the students to solve and whoever solved it correctly first would get to choose a letter to go in my mystery word. It went very well! The students in my group even asked if we could do the game again next week. I noticed a big improvement in one student's borrowing and subtraction work so I think the extra fun practice had an effect. 

    Overall, I am getting more and more comfortable working with this great group of kids. I think we are establishing a good rapport and they are getting comfortable working with me as well. I am looking forward to teaching them in the coming weeks. 





1 comment:

  1. Hi Emily,
    Your small group activity sounds so fun! I'm glad that it went over well and that the kids seemed to stay engaged with it. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Final Blog

Mary Fayta 5-2-21 2 strengths going into FE and now:  A strength  I believe  I had going into field experience  would be that I am good with...