Thursday, February 18, 2021

Week 4: Teach Day: 1

 Sara Kent 

February 18th, 2021


I got to teach my first lesson today! it was my first literacy lesson. I did my lesson on Michelle Obama because the kids were learning about important people and black history month. I knew some of the kids had read about Barack Obama in their peer reading groups so I thought learning about Michelle would be a nice touch. Overall I think it went well for my first time. There were some quirks but that is to be expected. I think my lesson was good in theory but it really isn't meant to be taught over a computer. I feel like there is more confusion and miscommunication being remote no matter how hard you try to be clear. I was impressed though with the children's passages that they wrote about Michelle Obama. I saw that even if I felt like I wasn't getting the message across the kids clearly got it with their knowledge that they acquired. They didn't all write the many sentences I wanted them to but it was clear to me that they were paying attention and knew what we were talking about. 

After my lesson was done my MT said that I did really well which was a confidence booster since I didn't think it went as well as it could've and one of the kids in the class said that I did really good and that I was a great teacher like my MT. It made me feel really good and like I did something right. He will never know how much his kind words meant to me. I hope next week when I teach my second lesson that I am more comfortable and confident. 

1 comment:

  1. Well done Sara! Hiccups are to be expected, but I'm sure you did just fine. It's always challenging to teach remotely, which is why it's so important to be flexible and be able to go with the flow of what's going on. That is a cool lesson idea -- you built on their prior knowledge and also incorporated social studies into your literacy lesson. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete

Final Blog

Mary Fayta 5-2-21 2 strengths going into FE and now:  A strength  I believe  I had going into field experience  would be that I am good with...