Thursday, April 22, 2021

Week 13 - Teaching Literacy

 Stefanie Flory 

Thursday April 22nd, 2021 

    Today was super fun! I got to teach my a literacy lesson on retelling! This was super fun for me to teach because I really enjoy reading and literacy, so sharing this with the students was a lot of fun! For my lesson, I wanted to teach how to retell a story using a read aloud activity. One thing I really enjoyed about this lesson was introducing the retelling "tricks". I think this helped the students gain a good understanding what you do when you retell a story, using the three tricks! 

The story I read to the students was Across the Alley, this story is about tow little boys who live across the alley from one another. Willie is black and Abe is Jewish. At night time, when it's dark outside the two boys open their windows that face each other. During the day they do not play together but at night, they become best friends. This story was really meaningful and important to teach young readers because you can discuss various concepts and topics within the story, and as I read the story, I made sure I asked open-ended questions that would expand their thinking. This lesson was one of my best ones and I love how well the students listened, stayed on task and participated, even in person and the kids at home! It was a very good day! 

One more week with the kids and my MT and it's very bittersweet! I sure am going to miss them! 😞


I did not get a picture of the book, but I did want to point out my favorite picture/page from the story! :)
 

"

1 comment:

  1. Hi Stef! I am so happy your lesson went well! One more to go! That book sounds so cute and I am sure the kiddos loved it.

    ReplyDelete

Final Blog

Mary Fayta 5-2-21 2 strengths going into FE and now:  A strength  I believe  I had going into field experience  would be that I am good with...