Thursday, March 25, 2021

Week 9 - An Overwhelmed Teacher Candidate

March 25, 2021

By: Kate Drish


Talk about a rough day! This FE day was a lot. It started like every other Thursday! My MT greeted me at the front door and discussed a brief overview of the day and what was to be taught. I had my first literacy lesson scheduled for today and I was excited!

Then.... it hit the fan. Like, it REALLY hit the fan. I was told by my MT that there would be a surprise fire drill. I thought, oh that's exciting! Quite frankly, I was glad to get up and move after sitting for so long. Throughout the day and as my lesson got closer, I was getting nervous. Then, right after lunch, I was called into the hallway by the principal. To say I was nervous was an understatement. She had told me that my MT was in close contact with a family member who had just tested positive today for COVID. My mind went racing. The principal then asked me to take over the class. THE ENTIRE CLASS. My MT came rushing into the room and told me how sorry she was but that she knew I could handle it. So here I am, a teacher's candidate, filling in the shoes of a teacher whose been doing this for years now. 

I figured everything would run fairly smooth since I had all the materials and assignments ready to go. I proceeded to teach my literacy lesson only to find out that the students had already read the story and answered the corresponding questions (even though I was told to cover this story today with the scholars). Oh, and remember that surprise fire drill? Yeah, it happened mid-lesson just as I was finally able to figure out how to change my lesson plan so it was not repetitive for the scholars. 

To give myself some props, I managed to get seven scholars out of the building safely and outside on the grass where we were supposed to end up. In my head I just kept thinking, "Well, this is what our professors mean by always being flexible."





2 comments:

  1. WOW Kate! You sure did have a helluva day! That is so crazy! I bet you handled it like a boss though, there's nothing else you can really do, is there?
    At least we are getting a bit of a break next week to regroup and recover! I think you deserve a high five, maybe a hug and a nice cold glass of wine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate, I am so sorry you were so overwhelmed today but I am sure you handled it well like you always do! I hope the rest of your time in the classroom is a breeze. Just think if you could handle today, you can handle anything!

    ReplyDelete

Final Blog

Mary Fayta 5-2-21 2 strengths going into FE and now:  A strength  I believe  I had going into field experience  would be that I am good with...