Thursday, February 25, 2021

Week 5 - First Lesson: Math

Stefanie Flory 

February 26th, 2021

Today was my first day of teaching! The lesson I taught was in the subject of math. Prior to the lesson, my MT wanted me to teach about money.. perfect, I know my students are amazing at money from previous meetings! However, my MT wanted me to do a lesson on currency in other countries! Wow was I nervous? Personally, I am not very familiar with currency in other countries so planning my lesson, I had to research and learn about it myself. I made sure I educated myself on the topic as much as I could so that the lesson implementation would be that much more impactful for the students. 

    Moving forward to teaching, the students were amazing!!! They did so good at paying attention and participating with me as we talked and learned about the 2 currencies I chose - Japan and Europe. I was so happy that the children were able to understand what I was teaching, it really helped to calm my nerves about it! One thing I will say, is that for the future lessons,  I need to be mindful of those students who may need help to get engaged. I plan to involve those students by making sure I talk with them in the beginning of the lesson because I think that was one of my struggles. Since the children who were  participating are the common students who participate in almost everything in class, I lost the attention of the students who are kind of shy and quiet. So I made note of those students and will make sure next lesson, I can get them engaged, so they will participate more and I don't lose their attention right away!

Overall for this being my first lesson, my MT was really pleased with the lesson and how it went and that makes me so happy :) 


Here is a picture of the game we played together! After completing a couple problems together, the students were able to practice on their own independently! I monitored in GoGuardian to ensure the students were completing the problems. 



1 comment:

  1. Hi Stefanie!

    I love the idea of doing a lesson on different currencies from around the world that's so cool! And I'm glad to hear that your student's enjoyed it and the lesson went well. It can be really difficult to get all the student engaged and involved in the lesson but I'm sure next time will be better! :)

    ReplyDelete

Final Blog

Mary Fayta 5-2-21 2 strengths going into FE and now:  A strength  I believe  I had going into field experience  would be that I am good with...