Thursday, February 11, 2021

Week 3: Picture Writing Prompts

 Paulina Kedzierski

Thursday, February 11, 2021

Another day full of funny comments made by students. Working with young students is just a matter of time before one of the students says something funny. Like I mentioned last week, the students have an opportunity every morning to talk during Morning Meeting. Despite having the morning to talk and share, the students will still interrupt others during the math work, for example, to show everyone their new room. I like how my MT gives this student a chance to talk and does not ignore him/her, but quickly reminds them that they have work to do. Next, I had a chance to talk with my MT about my upcoming Math lesson. She gave me some constructive criticisms, which I appreciate, and ideas on engaging the students and how to differentiate my assessment to meet all the students' needs. Also, I asked her about the opportunity of me taking over to gain more practice. She said that she will look over her schedule and let me know. I am definitely excited about that!

This week, on Tuesday, the children worked on picture writing, and today they shared their report with everyone. I have never thought about this type of writing. The children had to write s short story based on a picture, a giraffe clinching on to the tree. 

Another idea that will go into my teaching folder.


After the class, I started reading a tad about the benefits of picture writing. So, the picture writing prompts consist of an image to promote students to begin writing. The intent is to have the students look at the picture and write a story motivated by the image. It is incredible to see all of the diverse ideas that flourish in children's' minds from just one image. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Paulina,

    I like that you pointed out that the teacher lets the students talk but then quickly brings them back to the lesson. I think that's really important because if a teacher doesn't let her students talk I think that the students would feel like they don't have a voice or an opinion on anything. It's important to allow them to express themselves while also staying focused on the lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love the picture writing idea! Thank you for sharing that!

    ReplyDelete

Final Blog

Mary Fayta 5-2-21 2 strengths going into FE and now:  A strength  I believe  I had going into field experience  would be that I am good with...