Friday, January 29, 2021

Week 1: First day with MT & students!




Amy Mustafa

1/28/2021

Today was my first day as a student candidate in my MT's Second-grade classroom. The class started at 9:00 AM and was very beneficial to me and my future teachings. I realize how difficult it is teaching hybrid but also realize that it is definitely possible! My MT Had told the students that they will be having a new teacher joining them every Thursday, which I thought was great, letting them know who I was before they wondered who the stranger in the classroom was. The students began by each taking turns telling me something about themselves that they thought I should know. I enjoyed this as they each gave me a little input on who they are. I then introduced myself to them and I felt that it made the students less shy than when they first came to class. After each of us had a chance to talk, it was time for gym. I joined the students in their gym class which I thought was a great way of waking up the kids and making sure they get a chance to get up and stretch. 

Moving on, during the day, the students all showed me that each of them were very bright and eager to learn. My MT went over the book they have been reading which is, "Pepita and the Bully". The students were engaged in the retelling of the story, trying to figure out the overall theme or moral of it. I thought that this was such a great book to read for this age group as bullying can start at such a young age and of course so they understand that bullying is never nice. At the end of the discussion, the students realized that the theme of the story was in fact, how Pepita handles the bully, Babette. After the reading, the students reviewed addition and subtraction. They were adding and subtracting using common core math which made me realize, I needed to refresh my memory because although this was second-grade math, it was much different than the way I was originally taught. As the school day was coming to an end, the students learned how to write both capital and lowercase letter "A" in cursive. Finally, the teacher initially wanted to do this with the students but as time ran out, she had assigned her students to watch and answer questions on an interactive hurricane video. She told her students that they can work on it themselves and next class they will review and do it together. Overall, I loved meeting the class and understanding a little bit more about how a Google classroom is run and taught.



3 comments:

  1. Hello Amy! I am glad that your first day went well. I had a great first day as well. Reading your blog, I see that we share a concern- remote teaching/learning. How to go about this whole thing. But after our first day, it looks like we see plenty possibilities! That is a relief right? It was nice that you were able to join them for their specials. The kids were so excited when I told them that I was joining them for specials ( I think some of them may have come to the specials looking for me lol). I think we are off to a good start. You will do great! We will have great experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola Amy,

    How wonderful, please pick up as much as you can regarding Google classroom, close observation of it will truly benefit you as you'll be teaching virtually for lab soon. It is very important that you were able to gain an authentic/raw view of the virtual teaching world, it really is an adjustment and requires a lot. I believe in you, it is possible like you said, we are life-long learners as teachers.

    ReplyDelete

Final Blog

Mary Fayta 5-2-21 2 strengths going into FE and now:  A strength  I believe  I had going into field experience  would be that I am good with...