Saturday, January 30, 2021

Week 1 : The first day!

 

By Brenda Johnson

Thursday January 28, 2021

 

Today was my first day in my MT’s classroom! I met the students, and it was so much fun. There were 15 students ( 8 girls & 7 boys). I had not been in a 2nd grade classroom in the capacity I was today,  so  naturally I was nervous because I did not know what to expect. The students had so many questions for me, 2nd graders are really something! One kid asked me what made me decide to become a teacher. Oh my! I was not expecting that one. They shared their favorites things with me and of course ask what mine were. They were so inquisitive/ that some of them were willing to lose some minutes of their lunch time just to ask me a question or share something to me.

I found my MT’s style of teaching interesting. She used different ways to make her teaching fun. The lessons were very engaging, and students participated actively. I admired her manner of speaking to the children ,she talked to them with so much respect. I was curious to see how she managed her classroom during this time of remote learning( this is one of the concerns that I have). It was reassuring observing her , as this showed me that ‘the mission is possible’. The kids knew when to speak , they knew how/when to mute and unmute themselves, they patiently waited for their turns. She had a simple but rich schedule, that I think could be used both virtually and in person. The Daily oral Language(DOL) stood out for me. At the beginning of the day students are given a piece that has some grammatical errors to work on( to fix) . When everyone was done and turned in their work, they worked on the DOL together. I think this is something I will do in my own classroom. The students were learning about money and read about the’ old man of the mountain’.  We learned that there were quarters with something on the back that represents a state. MT shared a picture of that of New Hampshire .While I am still nervous, I am excited to for this FE! I know that there is so much for me to learn from my MT and her students. I am eager to join these 2nd graders every week. In fact I can’t wait to begin teaching them!


 


1 comment:

  1. Hello Brenda,
    I am glad to hear that you had a positive first time experience with 2nd graders. It is a different experience for all of us comparing to our experience last semester. You mentioned that your classroom listens and follows directions, and with relief, I have to say that my classroom is the same. It will be helpful when it is our time to teach.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Final Blog

Mary Fayta 5-2-21 2 strengths going into FE and now:  A strength  I believe  I had going into field experience  would be that I am good with...