Saturday, January 30, 2021

Week 1: Introduction

 Paulina Kedzierski

Saturday, January 30, 2021

Thursday was my first day of observing first graders. As much as nervous I was, I could not wait to meet the children and see how the teacher manages the class remotely for 7 hours. We are talking about 6year old children starring at the screen for most of their day! With that in mind, I paid close attention to classroom management. 

The morning started off with me introducing myself and talk a little bit about why I am observing. To my surprise, the children were shy and did not ask any questions. Later I had an opportunity to work with children in the break-out room while they practiced subtraction. The teacher informed me that students are supposed to work together to solve the math problems. She put me in a break-out room with students who need more help and usually keep to themselves instead of working together. As the teacher predicted, the students were quiet, so I decided to use my whiteboard to draw counters and asked students to subtract the number and I would cross them out. After the time ran out we got back to the main room and the students answered questions while the teacher put the answer on her screen. Some children knew the answers right away and some did not practice. When one student was asked to answer a problem and it was wrong, his answer to why he did not practice was " My fingers let me down." It made my day, the funniest things children say and they are very serious when they say it. Overall, the children behaved and paid attention during class. One thing that I have noticed is that the teacher has to repeat directions many times, but that is understandable based on how old the students are. At the end of the day, I was less nervous and cannot wait until another observation day. 


 I have chosen this particular photo because it represents how I feel the first weeks of each semester. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Paulina, I first want to tell you that the picture you posted is very relatable! My First day wasn't bad one bit but the overall stress of what the teacher goes through, in putting together a whole class day for her students is i'm sure, not any easy task at all!! I like how you were able to introduces yourself as it is such a great way to start off the day for, not only your self but the students too. I also observed my CT putting her students in breakout room to complete multiple different math problems. I find breakout rooms a great way for students to be one on one over their screens as they cannot be together in person. Im glad you had a great first day Paulina!

    ReplyDelete

Final Blog

Mary Fayta 5-2-21 2 strengths going into FE and now:  A strength  I believe  I had going into field experience  would be that I am good with...