Sunday, May 2, 2021

Week 14 - Final Goodbyes!

 Paulina Kedzierski

April 29, 2021

Thursday was a final day observing first graders at Coretta Scott King Elementary School. The day went by just like any other, except the students were anxious to get the goodie bags that I brought as a goodbye present. So the students don't get distracted during instructions, I decided to hand out the bags at the end of the day. At the end of the day, my CT and I exchanged goodbye gifts. I thanked the students for allowing me to teach them and for taking part in my instructions. At last, with a blink of an eye, the semester is over.

Two strengths going into FE would have to be patience and remote experience from the last semester. Having three children of my own, quickly I have learned to be patient, and take the time to explained things, sometimes multiple times, instead of getting upset with them. Next, last semester I had the opportunity to observe toddlers and preschoolers in person and teach remotely. This experience allowed me to ease some anxiety over teaching remotely. The two areas that I improved since the beginning of the semester are the knowledge of more teaching strategies to instruct the students and more confidence in my abilities to instruct remotely and in person at the same time. After a second lesson teaching both ways, I have noticed that I was more relaxed and aware of students around me and on the screen. With that in mind, I still need to work on two areas that I struggled with while instructing, accommodation and differentiation, and engaging students in problem-solving and critical thinking. I am getting better, and I am aware of what I should have changed in my lesson to get proficient in those areas. I am hoping that student teaching will allow me to perfect the two areas. 

The most fun experience would have to be the activity from last week, Earth Day. We decided to create an Earth Day card. While watching a video showing us how to fold the paper quickly, my CT and I noticed that remote students got frustrated and sad that they could not fold the paper correctly. We paused the video, explained to students that it is OK to get confused, and we started from the beginning. At last, we completed the activity, students had fun, and so we did. The most challenging experience for me was helping a student struggle with every aspect of schooling because he was not present for remote learning. While my CT instructed the rest of the students, I would stay with this particular student and help him with math, reading, and writing. I just hope that next year, when everything goes back to somewhat normal, he will get the help he needs. 

The best lesson taught would have to be Social Studies, Wants, and Needs. The students participated and complete flipgrid where they had to give examples of wants and needs from their lives. It was so much fun reviewing the videos. While doing so, I have noticed that all students could give me many examples for want and needs. They even justified their choices, which was fun to listen to. However, the worst lesson taught must be the science lesson, Vibration, and sound. I knew that this lesson will be difficult, but I decided to proceed with the lesson. The lesson was too difficult for first graders. The hands-on experiment that I wanted students to work with was fun for children, but they had difficulty understanding the reasoning behind the experiment. I will have to work on my science instructions!

3 things learned from my CT

  • Each day, take the time to talk to your students about anything they want to share. 
  • Stay on top of your daily tasks so you do not fall behind.
  • As much as you love your students, you have to be firm when it comes to time and students wanting to play. 
3 things learned about myself

  • I can quickly just to changes placed upon a teacher. 
  • I can be patient with students, especially with a student who has behavioral issues. 
  • Before, I was afraid that I will not know how to act when students misbehave, but quickly I learned that the skill comes naturally. 
3 things learned about the children, students

  • First graders are smart children, eager to learn despite the behavior issues that they possess. 
  • Children want to be heard and will act so that they can be heard. 
  • Children want to be recognized for their successes. 
3 things learned about the education field. 

  • The teacher must be flexible and adapt quickly to changes that can happen quickly. 
  • Teachers wear many hats!
  • Students look up to you, and you must set a good example.
One thing that I wish I would have done it differently is my science lesson. I wish I would listen to my inner voice when it told me that this lesson is difficult. Once I was teaching the lesson, after I noticed that is not going well, I should have change gear the lesson to something less difficult. 

I am nervous about starting my student teaching, but at the same time, I am excited to be in a normal setting with a classroom. Finally, I am anxious about instructing a classroom with twenty or so students. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Blog

Mary Fayta 5-2-21 2 strengths going into FE and now:  A strength  I believe  I had going into field experience  would be that I am good with...