Sunday, April 25, 2021

Week 13 - Last Lesson - Retelling!

 

By Brenda Johnson

Today I thought my last lesson of the semester! My second literacy lesson which was on retelling. I thought the lesson went well. I started by telling students my own short story and asked them to “tell me the story again”. Students were eager to learn and participated. After showing students some strategies to use in retelling, I read a story to them on epic. We did a retell of the story together. I assigned a short story to the students on epic. They read the book and retold the story for independent practice.

Today’s question of the day “What are the steps to making a peanut butter jelly sandwich?”. I thought this was an interesting one. Students thought it was a very easy and short question to answer until they actually started writing. They found that they had to write down ‘plenty’ steps, from taking the bread out of the bag to placing it on a plate. Some students did not want to write about peanut butter jelly sandwich because they did not eat anything that had peanut butter on it. SO, they wrote down the steps to making the kinds of sandwiches they ate. Some of the other sandwich students wrote about were just jelly and bread, Nutella, soy butter, mayonnaise, hummus etc.

There is only one more day of field experience left! I cannot believe how fast time flew.  Next week my MT and the students are throwing me a going away party. It will be a dance party. While I am excited, I will miss them.

 


 

1 comment:

  1. Hello Brenda,
    It is great to hear that you are done teaching. It was an interesting idea to tell your story for the purpose of retelling.

    Great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Final Blog

Mary Fayta 5-2-21 2 strengths going into FE and now:  A strength  I believe  I had going into field experience  would be that I am good with...