Thursday, April 15, 2021

Week 12 - Social Studies

Emily Pinto

EDEC 4571/81 

4.15.21

Week 12 was a good field experience day, to put it briefly. It was nice to see the two students who haven't been attending Thursday sessions actually in class for the first time. I'm not sure why their parents signed them up to go to school, and not actually have them go to school, but I suppose it's better late than never. They will definitely have an adjustment period, but I am happy they came, and it will be good for them to be in school. We went on a book walk outside this Thursday, which was fun. It was nice to get outside with the students and walk around a bit, rather than sitting inside all day. I just wish it had been a little warmer!

Today I taught my social studies lesson about the Great Plains Native Americans -- The Sioux. I think it went pretty well besides the fact that the book I had ordered to read did not come in on time! Instead, I found a short video for them to watch, which wasn't as great a replacement as I had hoped, but you gotta work with what you have, right? Despite that hiccup, the lesson went really well. I had found a lot of original pictures of the Sioux that really showcased their way of life, and it led to some very curious questions and discussion with the students. Next week I teach science, which is convenient because it's Earth Day. I continue to work on what didn't go right in previous lessons and improve in those areas. 

2 more weeks!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Blog

Mary Fayta 5-2-21 2 strengths going into FE and now:  A strength  I believe  I had going into field experience  would be that I am good with...