Sunday, April 18, 2021

Week 12: Literacy lesson: Freckleface Strawberry

By: Jamia Royal

Date: 4/18/2021

This was my second literacy lesson and it was based on the story Freckleface Strawberry and the Dodgeball Bully and how the character feelings changed throughout the story. I never read this story before so I was very excited to read it.... and I LOVED THIS BOOK! Freckleface hates when it rains because she has to go inside the gym and play dodgeball. She was scared of Windy Pants Patrick because he was the school bully and he threw the ball too hard. Freckleface overcomes the school bully by using her imaginary friend which a monster during a game of dodgeball, and scaring the school bully unintentionally. Once she found out the bully was scared of monsters they became friends at the end and no one was scared of each other. 

During my lesson, I asked students to think about a time where they were afraid to try something and after they tried it, they enjoyed it. Children shared and I also asked students to make a prediction on what the story may be about by looking at the cover, I wrote a few predictions down and then we got into the story. While reading I made sure to stop and ask questions on how did they think the character was feeling during different parts of the story and to make sure they remembered. After the story we did a activity in our journals to show how Freckleface feelings changed from the beginning, middle, and end of the story. The students love to draw so they included drawings that went along with each feeling. Before the lesson was over I went back to the predictions the students made about the story. 

I think this was my favorite lesson, because I enjoyed the book and the lesson that went along. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Blog

Mary Fayta 5-2-21 2 strengths going into FE and now:  A strength  I believe  I had going into field experience  would be that I am good with...