Friday, April 16, 2021

Week 12 - Dinosaur Lady

April 16, 2021

By: Kate Drish


This week I taught my second to last lesson which also turned out to be my second literacy lesson! I'm not sure why, but I love teaching literacy because it gives me the opportunity to research fun and interesting books for the students while still being able to implement literacy skills. This week my MT had told me to teach something about biographies and I pretty much had full control over which book to use. I immediately researched fun, engaging children's biographies. There were many books to choose from and they seemed repetitive. There were many children's books on Abraham Lincoln, Rosa Parks, Helen Keller, and other historical people. However, I knew I wanted to choose a book that talks about some new and unheard of. That's when I stumbled about my girl, Mary Anning AKA the Dinosaur Lady.


This book was a HIT! I knew the boys in my class loved dinosaurs and I knew that the girls loved hearing about powerful women so this book was the best of both worlds. I read out loud "Dinosaur Lady: The Daring Discovering of Mary Anning, the First Paleontologist." The book was all about Mary Anning who discovered the first ever dinosaur fossil along the coast of England. It had so many great pictures and a wonderful theme too! The students were engaged and participated in discussion more than normal! I discussed why biographies are important in helping us learn about different people and their achievements. For the IP, the students created their own 'mini-biographies' about Mary Anning with facts they learned from the book.


With 2 more weeks to go and 1 more lesson, all I can say is these weeks are flying by!


An example of my IP: a student's 'mini-biography' about Mary Anning.


1 comment:

  1. Hello Kate,
    Yes, I agree with you, the weeks are flying by so fast! Great to hear that your lesson was a hit with children; this is the essential part of the lesson.

    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Final Blog

Mary Fayta 5-2-21 2 strengths going into FE and now:  A strength  I believe  I had going into field experience  would be that I am good with...