Sunday, March 14, 2021

Week 7 - First day in person!

 







By Brenda Johnson

Today was so much fun!  So many firsts! I went into the school building for the first time, I met my MT in person for the first time, and I met my classmates in person for the first time! I also got to teach my Social studies lesson. My MT & I were not sure what both of us being in the same room and on the same meet would look like. We tried it out before the kids joined us. We figured with my headphones on, and my microphone muted most of the time, we should be ok. So, before I spoke, My MT muted her microphone. The students were wondering why my MT had a mask on, they asked to see the whole classroom on her camera. They were so happy when they spotted me.  Students that will be coming back in person were excited to learn that they will get to meet me in person.  I assured our friends that will be remote that they will be part of everything we do in the classroom.

My Social studies lesson was on Nigeria, my country of origin. My MT thought it would be great for the kids to learn a few things about Nigeria.  I was glad to teach them! I like the water fall effect that comes from everyone sending their messages on the chat at the same time, so I decided to use it for my AS. The students already enjoy typing in the chat (in fact on several occasions, my MT had had to disable chat for them) I thought they would love it and they did! I displayed a picture of the Nigerian flag and the map of Nigeria and asked them what those were. A student said that was a map and a flag, she told us why she thought so. I then asked the students to type in the chat what country they thought those belonged to. It was so much fun especially with the water fall effect. They guessed so many different countries, but not Nigeria. Students were thrilled at the kinds of food eaten by Nigerians. I brought some left over jollof rice and fried plantain to show them. It was very interactive, they talked about possible differences and similarities with American foods. We read a book on Nigeria too. One student shared with us that he had visited Nigeria before. That was exciting! He told us if his experience.

My MT is so warm and welcoming, she made me so at home. I joined her in setting up the classroom for students’ return. I cannot wait to meet students in person next week!




                                                                            




1 comment:

  1. Hello Brenda,
    It was a pleasure to meet you in person, finally. We had classes for the past three semesters but never in person. I am happy that you had a chance to share your country with students. You have to share your recipes with me; I love trying new foods.

    ReplyDelete

Final Blog

Mary Fayta 5-2-21 2 strengths going into FE and now:  A strength  I believe  I had going into field experience  would be that I am good with...