Thursday, February 25, 2021

Week 5: Keep up the pace!

Jarrell Harris 

Today, was an early dismissal, and wowzers, it was such a thick and quick day of learning. The students were taught so much within the small chunk of time they had, as my MT and I discussed, the day went by so quick. One thing I am learning by observing virtually- pace is a key factor, I am noticing how we have to go on, moving from one content area to the next per the schedule. Today seemed to be like an accelerated experience, but the students managed to get through it all, I am so proud of them. Although, they are many questions raised, I am learning when to keep teaching and when to pause (provide opportunities) for the students to spill out questions. 

I am so happy I was able to take attendance again,  I noticed that I can literally set the tone through my energy when greeting and taking morning attendance. I truly enjoy assisting through GoGuardian, this allows me to connect w/ the students individually, I am grateful that the students are receptive of me. One other thing, I am noticing that the students are initiating interaction w/ me, this is critical and very pertinent to me growing to know them to better  reach them. I have to admit, connecting virtually w/ children can be sort of intricate, so I keep a close eye on how my MT connects with the 3rd graders in her class- she does a very fine job with delegation of her attention to them. 



3 comments:

  1. Jarrell I am happy to hear how well your class is going! I like that you take attendance in the morning -- what a great way to build rapport and set the tone for the day. You are right, pacing is very important -- particularly in the remote setting. Keeping the students engaged can be a challenge, so it's important to "read the room" so to speak, and be aware of moments when everyone can benefit from a pause or a back and forth discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jarrell, I am glad you learning ways for you to handle and adjust to the remote learning. Yesterday was definitely a fast pace day and my students were excited for the 1/2 day as well. I am glad you are getting more comfortable with the class and students. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Jarrell,
    Glad to hear that your classroom experience is giving you plenty of experience. Thursday was a bit hectic scheduled. The students seem to be a bit distracted with the idea of half a day. They were eager to finish school earlier, hence did not pay attention. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

Final Blog

Mary Fayta 5-2-21 2 strengths going into FE and now:  A strength  I believe  I had going into field experience  would be that I am good with...