Saturday, February 27, 2021

Week #5 - Sight Words Assessments

 Paulina Kedzierski

February 26, 2021

This week I have observed three days to make up for Thursday's half a day. During my observation, my MT used a lot of free time to assess sight words. First graders, ideally, need to know 130 sight words by the end of the school year. I wrote "ideally" because, unfortunately, some of the students really struggled to read the words. For example, today, one student read 128 words without any hesitation. Yesterday, on the other hand, a student struggled to read simple words as "one" and read-only about 20 words. I asked my MT if the students who struggle get assistance such as RTI, but they cannot get help because of the remote learning. I just hope students who struggle will get extra help once we get back to in-person instructions. 

As far as participating more in a class, I was able to help students with math during break-out rooms. The students are working on tens and ones. They still struggle with determining the different ways a double-digit number can be presented. 

On Friday, I had some free time to collaborate with my MT about my upcoming literacy lesson. Since it is Dr. Seuss's birthday next week, I will incorporate one of his books. I have noticed that I learn to relax every week, and I am aware of different teaching aspects remotely. Multitasking is key to a successful day. Before, I was so stressed about completing my lesson that I did not look at the GoGuardian or the students' list that I prepared ahead. Cannot wait for my next lesson to utilize all my resources. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Paulina! Its great to learn that you were able to make up Thursday's time. I hope to observe for extra hours this week to make up.
    I did not know that 1st graders should know 130 sight word. Its sad to know that students are struggling and not be able to help. Its a good thing that students will be able to go back in person. Hopefully students that need assistance can get some. Children love Dr. Seuss books! Good luck when you teach! You'll do great Paulina!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    I think it is great that your MT allows you to make up the times that you have missed! It gets the students more comfortable with you and you get to see how different days are!

    ReplyDelete

Final Blog

Mary Fayta 5-2-21 2 strengths going into FE and now:  A strength  I believe  I had going into field experience  would be that I am good with...