Friday, February 26, 2021

Week 5: 1/2 day & Make up day

  By: Jamia Royal  

2/26/2021

 Thursday the students had a 1/2 day and they really excited about it. We started our day with the normal routine with the songs, calendar, weather etc. Students did their scavenger hunt and I also grabbed a few items of my own to participate with their class. Since it was half day my MT informed the students that the schedule would be a bit different today. One kid even noted that we will be in class for 3 hours and 15 mins which I found pretty amazing because he was able to tell time and how long we would be in class. They had a family fun night last night and my MT also informed that next week will be the start of Dr. Seuss week and also spirit week. 

    We moved along to the math lesson where students were learning about number bonds. She uses the if I do it, you do it strategy when learning about number bonds. After they completed place value BOOM cards and an exit ticket. After lunch break, we moved along to writing. Students are learning how to add more detail to their writing labeling their papers "B, M, E" (beginning, middle, end) and leaving space to fill in for detail. Students are also learning how to use transition words in their writing. Art was moved to an earlier time so we went to art after writing for a while and would come to back to continue their writing and breakout rooms. In art students drew among us characters and learned about Vincent Van Gogh, the children enjoy art time. We went back to class and students were put into break out rooms to share their stories. This is my favorite thing to do because I get to talk to the children and listen to their stories. We ended the day with a read aloud Henry's freedom box. 

    I joined my MT class on Friday as well. The schedule was a bit different in the morning usually on Thursday's we do a scavenger hunt but on Friday's it is show and tell. I enjoyed listening to the children share their cool gadgets and drawings at home. The students completed a math sprint where they completed problems in a minute, set a goal for their next set of problems and try to reach their goal. They are also learning how to count the place of ten ex. 10, 20, 30 and how many dots.... These first graders are really advanced and I enjoy watching them show off their skills. They are continuing to work on their writing skills by adding more detail to their stories and learning about story elements. Once the writing was complete they go to their read aloud on Epic and have lunch. 

    Every week is a new learning experience and is preparing me more for my lessons and my future classroom. 




1 comment:

  1. Hi Jamia,
    I am glad you were able to join in on Friday as well to make up for Thursday's half day. I love that your MT incorporates fun activity to keep the students moving around. My MT last semester always did scavenger hunts with the students and they LOVED it. Children love to show you and tell you all about their favorite things and this also allows you to get to know what your students like!

    ReplyDelete

Final Blog

Mary Fayta 5-2-21 2 strengths going into FE and now:  A strength  I believe  I had going into field experience  would be that I am good with...