Thursday, February 18, 2021

Week 4: Reward day!

By: Jamia Royal 

 This week of observation is students reward day. The students were able to vote on the reward of their choice and pajama day/movie day won. So today all the students and my MT are wearing their pajamas! She goes over the normal routine with the morning songs and calendar activities. But this morning one of the songs about the calendar was different and a few students noticed it and said that they really liked the new song. My MT showed the students how they compared and made a connection to the two songs like a book. We moved along to math where they are learning how to answer questions about bar graphs. They were creating bar graphs and collecting data from the information given. Students were making number sentences, adding 3 numbers, and understanding math vocabulary. Words like total, compare to, how many more were underlined or circled and given an explanation of what time of math to do, either addition or subtraction. During this lesson some of the kids seem a bit distracted but I think they are very anxious for the movie part of the day. My MT showed students how they can read the graph in different ways when answering questions. 

We moved along to phonics and writing where they are working on s blends and learned about idioms. During writing time they are learning about the beginning, middle, and end of a story. One thing my MT did that was pretty cool to me was how she went over a book they read quickly but still gave the important details of the story and it sounded like she was reading the story, it tricked me as first, haha! Students were given a free choice topic for their writing prompt, she mentioned that their story should have an beginning, middle and end and to use transition words. We went off into breakout rooms where students shared their stories. This is one of my favorite things to do, join them in breakout rooms. Students are excited that I am in the room with them and they are eager to share. The end of the day was their reward so the students were able to watch a movie while completing work. During this time, I completed another ATLAS video. My MT and I stayed on while the kids went to art, to plan for my inventory and she gave me access to the controls so I could practice my screen sharing since it is different from zoom. Every week is a new learning experience that I look forward to.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Blog

Mary Fayta 5-2-21 2 strengths going into FE and now:  A strength  I believe  I had going into field experience  would be that I am good with...