Sunday, May 2, 2021

Week 14: Last Day in the classroom :(

 Jamia Royal

5/2/2021

Today is the last day in the classroom and I am sad because my MT will not be here due to a funeral and I am going to miss the kiddos. I made my MT a thank you bag with some of her favorite snacks, a card and gift card. Since there was a sub in the class who was not too familiar with working the hoover cam and the class schedule I was a big help to her! We all know how kids can get when we have a substitute so some of their behavior was not the normal if  the teacher was there. I had to let the students know that the same expectations are set even when Mrs. Sikora is not there. The day went pretty well and one kid had said "Ms. Royal isn't this your last day? So that mean we will never see you again?" This made me happy because the students enjoyed me being in the class, but also sad because I might not see these kids again. At the end of the day all the kids said goodbye, said they will miss me, and the kids in person even gave me hugs. I couldn't help it! 

Field experience this semester was challenging due to COVID and learning how to work remote and adjusting to the "new normal" in the classroom. Two areas of strength going in to field experience was communicating with my MT and knowing about the technology. Two areas I improved in was the prior knowledge part of my lessons and adjusting to the remote setting. I know I still need to work on giving clear instructions and setting expectations. I also need to work on closing my lessons and not just ending them so abrupt. The most fun experience was finally being able to come in the classroom and meeting some of the kids in person. The most challenging was teaching remote and the students in person because kids at home tend to be more distracted so it can be hard making sure they are following along with the lesson. The best lesson I taught was my literacy lesson about character change because I enjoyed the book that went along with it, and it also seem like the children enjoyed the book and writing activity. The students were really participating and I can tell they were able to notice freckleface feelings change throughout the story and the cause of it. My worse lesson was my math lesson, because it was my first day being in the classroom so I had no clue how to work anything and I was also really nervous to be teaching my first lesson on the first day in the classroom. 

3 things I learned from my MT, always remember to pace myself, always set clear expectations, and always just go with the flow of things. 

3 things I learned about myself, this semester I learned that I need to take my time, when planning lessons think about all different learning styles, and honestly if teaching is something I really want to do anymore. 

3 things I learned about children, when they are home they do not do as much work, they adjusted to remote learning pretty well, and the children are really tech savvy. 

3 things I learned about the education field, teachers must be flexible and be prepared for any changes in the schedule, teachers are important role models for children, and I can still be in the education field without being a teacher. 

Somethings I wish I done differently is the way I planned some of my lessons, I need to keep in mind that my energy reflects on the students so however I present my lesson the kids will have that same energy. I am excited to be coming to the end of the program and heading into my practicum, some things I am excited about is meeting the teacher I will be working with and also the children! I am most anxious about teaching in general and wondering how the fall semester will turn out for me! 



2 comments:

  1. Hello Jamia,
    I have to agree with you! Teachers must be flexible and ready for any changes lurking behind the door. After reading some of the posts, I feel relieved that I am not the only one nervous about student teaching, but we will complete the student teaching just like we completed this semester.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jamie,
    Great job this semester! It is nice to know that we made it and learned a lot along the way! Student teaching will be a whole new ball park and I am happy that I have you all along for the ride!

    ReplyDelete

Final Blog

Mary Fayta 5-2-21 2 strengths going into FE and now:  A strength  I believe  I had going into field experience  would be that I am good with...